from the horse's mouth

general meanderings on horses, life (well thats the same as horses really), work (so I can afford to do the horses thing)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Saturday, November 04, 2006

brain like a sieve

well I would post more often, but I forgot both my username and my password (DOH !)

And what with one thing (my horse being diagnosed with DJD of her left hock)
And another (my partner of eleven years leaving me because he was lying about something, and me then finding he had been lying about practically everything for the whole eleven years - had another partner despite living with me, another child, etc etc)

Anyway, better late than never as they say !

During the summer, Fi's lameness and/or movement issues seemed to improve slightly, raising my hopes, and then regress... it was the classic one step forward, one (lame) step back. The crunch came when I had some time off during the week and booked a lesson. But for various reasons the instructor had to call off that day and was coming the next. So I rode anyway, in my western saddle. The next day, I was warming her up on line as the instructor was due... and was a bit concerned. But as I started riding it became clear Fi was doing a fine impression of a camel. Fine if she was a camel, but not so fine when she is sposed to be horse and was not designed by committee !

So, called the vet - he came out the next day and said "yes she's lame" (uhuh....) and she was booked in for x-rays. I was a bit concerned before hand - if the x-rays were clear, where did we go next ? If the x-rays weren't clear, ... you guessed it.., where did we go next ?!

The original intention was to start with the near hock, and then maybe look at the near fore (the one she pulled going through an electric fence in April). But he didn't go any further than the left hock. I saw the x-rays and she had hooks, fusion, translucency - all in different bits of the hock :(

So - DJD.
What next ?

Well then came 7 injections, one every 4 days, of Adequan.

Funnily enough she seemed much better after the x-rays :rolleyes:

Anyway, she has subsquently had a Bowen treatment, at which my borrowed synthetic dressage saddle was deemed not to fit. I've been riding her in the western saddle at weekends and she has been fine. She is on Superflex (NAF).

Actions I must take:
refit my Easisit GP or sell it
saddle fitting for a new english/dressage saddle, if the Easisit is sold
sell my old western saddle (to help fund new saddle)

and lose some weight ! I lost fourteen stone went it walked out the door, and then almost another stone of my own with all the stress and emotional turmoil. If I can keep a more sensible level of weight loss going - who knows, I may get to ride Rosie yet !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home