from the horse's mouth

general meanderings on horses, life (well thats the same as horses really), work (so I can afford to do the horses thing)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Blood, gore and Fifi

I let Fi out for a wee wander at the weekend, just in the yard, and she proceeded to roll and give me a heart attack ! We rewrapped the wound later that day - it was planned to do this - and the dressing was still in place and it all looked ok.

But I was still keen to see what the Vet had to say when he checked her out today.


He's happy with progress. You can see the wound is granulating nicely, We had a quick chat about proud flesh - my position is that I am not bothered about aesthetics, but about the function. And he did trim some of the "excess" flesh from the top of the wound. You could see where the margin of new skin is there and trimming the excess granulation away will help the skin grow over. (If not, the granulation can grow faster than the skin and it never properly closes).

Needless to say granulation has a very good blood supply and no nerves. So no sedation was required but it was very gory. And no I didn't take pictures of that bit !

It is all wrapped up again now, so we will rewrap at the weekend (this just changes the outer layers and leaves the granuflex dressing  in situ) and then have another check this time next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home