from the horse's mouth

general meanderings on horses, life (well thats the same as horses really), work (so I can afford to do the horses thing)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Sunday, October 07, 2007

lame again lame again jiggety jig

sigh

We went to the appaloosa show. The first of the two classes I had entered was the walk/job pleasure. The last time we did a western class was at least two years ago and was a similar class. I got there a bit late last time so didn't get a decent warm up. I was hoping to improve on that this time so was a bit worried when we discovered a bridge out on the last road in to the show. Luckily a local was walking their dog and told us how to find our way around, and all the classes were running a bit late because of the bridge issue - so I still had time to warm up.

This time the class was in an outdoor arena, with the warm up in one half and the class in the other. So I was pleased that she settled in to quite a good warm up. But it was a bit premature as we went into the other half of the arena for the class and she proceeded to get worried about the jumps and judges box on the outside edge of the school. Plus she seems to be happier in the warm up area with horses going in every direction than in a ring with them all going the same way. So she was a little tense.

Of course I could not use circles to direct the energy, so had to ride (and breathe !). In hindsight perhaps I could have used connecting to the footfall a bit more, rather than half-halting ? One for the future. We were 4th out of 5.

Still, we survived without any unscheduled exits or spins... so not so bad...

Then we had a gap until the next class - in-hand. While walking her from A to B, she stod on a stone and went lame for a few strides. She seemed to come right again and I took the time to whack her mane into plaits. But when we went into the (indoor) ring for the class, I started to feel the walk was not entirely ok... and then we went into trot and she did a 3-legged horse impression ! :(

Poor Fi. I pulled her up, and the judge was fine about it. But I was mortified.

I think it was more than just a bruise from the stone - I think the uneveness from the stone tweaked the joints in the off fore. Back home she was still unlevel on turns and in trot, but fine in walk. It hasn't stopped her being her normal energtic self - just limping madly as she does so :rollseyes: I think it bothers me more than her....

I checked out how level she was getting during the week and long reined her on Saturday - when she seemed fine again. I rode her today (Sunday) in her new WH saddle. In trot I just felt she was holding that shoulder slightly (off side) so we didn't try a canter.

We also had a visitor who rode Dudley in the school, and Rosie out around the stubble field. Someone's daughter - a slim teenager who rode both of them sympathetically. It was lovely to see. While she was riding Dudley in the school, mum rode Rosie. Rosie had her attitude on - and struggled to focus with both Dudley being ridden and me on the ground. It seems the more distractions there are, the more she struggles. Mum had ridden her during the week - by herself - and she was really quite a good girl.

I think we may have to consider - through the winter - having one session where Dudley is not in the school so that we stand a better chance of Rosie focusing on her rider !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home