from the horse's mouth

general meanderings on horses, life (well thats the same as horses really), work (so I can afford to do the horses thing)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Sunday, November 18, 2007

you poisoned us !

just got back from sevenses for the horses, and we wormed them. We had done worm counts on the two girls and they were both <50 eggs - but we wanted to cover them all for tapeworm. I did the maths and we covered all four from 3 syringes - which meant that Fi's dose was made up of the remaining parts of the three others. So the poor girl had to have 3 "lots" (even though in total it was the right dose).

They all decided I was rotten and was attempting to poison them - and even turned down a treat, an apple or a carrot after as they still had the taste of the wormer. I am persona non grata :(

Last weekend we rode Saturday afternoon thanks to the demise of my parent's fridge. And Sunday morning. A pretty normal weekend and I worked on Prelim 1 as there is a dressage competition next week that I hope to take either Fi or Dudley (if Fi is lame or it is windy) to.

This weekend the weather forecast was not optimistic. Saturday was pretty dismal with high winds so Fi and Rosie got long reined. But J was down with Mullet so Duds ended up with a day off.

Fi was interesting. Normally when I ride her, I do a quick walk-trot-canter online on each rein first to check her movement and soundness. I've found that when I get on, the initial trot is quite stuffy and I was concerned this was due to saddle and/or me.

But long reining she did the same thing. So I think it is more to do with being asked to work correctly and needing to warm her back up. And she soon warmed up....and tanked off ! I had to have a discussion about the fact I *was* still there :rolleyes: and do some transitions.

Rosie did some good work as well, and did a good amount of trot and canter, with some moments heading towards softness.

On Sunday the morning was still quite damp but the wind had dropped. So I did housework in the morning in the hope it would clear a bit... and it did. I rode Fi through the test a couple of times, carrying a long dressage whip so she was clear I meant it ;) (I hardly used it). Then I rode Dudley while mum worked Rosie online. It was a short session for all three, but at least they did something ! Both Fi and Duds were puffing by the end of the test so are not terribly fit :(

The other change to note is that, since she has been in, Fi has been making a habit of tipping her water over. She has a triangular manger for her water as it seemed to help in the old stable. In the old stable we thought she might be catching it when she went to get up from lying down. That doesn't apply where she is now. We were not sure if she was knocking it with her snack ball, or dunking hay... but were increasingly suspicious that she was simply picking it up ! (She likes picking buckets up). We had got a manger bracket, but Him Indoors opined that it was not going to be easy to fix to the wall... and while in conversation we came up with a plan. So she now has one of the spare feed buckets in a tyre as her water bucket, and that seems to have helped - at least for the first night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home