from the horse's mouth

general meanderings on horses, life (well thats the same as horses really), work (so I can afford to do the horses thing)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Bring Sally Up..

 I took part in the unmounted part of a rider fitness & confidence session, organised by my local riding club, a few days ago.

The instructor talked about her key areas for fitness, and how she addressed them.... which meant we ended up getting introduced to the squat challenge "bring sally up" based on Moby's "Flower"


Anyway, it's a bit of an earworm so it's been in my head on and off since.... and I was watching the Tabata version (on both youtube and spotify - it has longer "holds" if you are feeling brave !)

I remember doing squats in exercise classes and feeling like it was a deep squat, but realising (especially if there was a mirror about) that it really wasn't.

So from a equestrian point of view, are there different squats and squat sessions for different disciplines ?

My squats would be dressage version - not that deep and session is maybe 4-6 minutes

But then you could have the happy hacker version, which would be slightly deeper but for longer

Or SJ version, deeper (shorter stirrups) but again only a few minutes,

Endurance version, not so deep but much much longer !

Eventing - intervals of short, medium and deep squats

Racing - deep ("Martini glass") squats for a few minutes 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home